Thursday 6 November 2008

Album downloads from iTunes

Although I am a fan of vinyl and the 3D nature of the sound, I continue to be lured into the iTunes store all too frequently and find myself exploring dark corners of the site for little-known recordings -  usually of early blues music or trashy 70s pop. I don't personally find digital music quality (assuming some decent equipment to harness your computer to) significantly worse or flatter than CDs. Occasionally maybe there is a tendency to that 'bright' tone but I think you'd have to be unusually acoustically fastidious to really notice the difference. (Listen to Blue Note vinyl recordings though and I defy anyone not to be amazed how much better they are than any of the digitally remastered CDs that followed the iconic label's heyday).

One major gripe I do have, however, is with the digital sequence of large albums, especially classical recordings. I've just downloaded a 1956 recording of a seminal Glyndebourne production of Figaro (easily my favourite opera) and because individual tracks are arranged alphabetically, you do not listen to it in any kind of sensible sequence. It is absolutely infuriating to have to manually scroll through arias to put them in the right order. And occasionally testing too. Half way through you suddenly come across the overture. It's not exactly astra physics to sort this out iTunes. Please.

No comments: